Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

The end of a season.


This past season had its ups and downs and yesterday, in game 6, was the big decline to end it all.
This season we dealt with injuries and Sidney Crosby's concussion symptoms then his neck injury, though we also saw Matt Cooke change the way he approached playing and he was not suspended and had a great year. We went through some losing slumps, but also saw what James Neal could really do alongside Evgeni Malkin and Chris Kunitz. We had our winning streaks and we had a MVP-caliber season from Evgeni Malkin (until the playoffs anyway). There were other highs and lows to this season and we were along for the ride no matter what.

A loss in the first round series of the playoffs though was the lowest part by far. Being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Philadelphia Flyers will leave a sour taste in our mouths for a long time. On paper, the Pens looked nearly unstoppable. The Pens were favored to win the Stanley Cup by so many. Those are predictions though and paper can go up in flames in seconds.
The first 3 games of this past series I am sure the Pens wish they could have back and try again. The Flyers' power play was great and the Pens came up short in the 4 losses they endured. I'm heartroken that the Pens are already out of the playoffs. To be honest, I do not believe that it has hit me quite yet. This postseason offered so much potential and hope for the Pens and to see it end the way it did has left some questions and pondering.
After the first few losses in this series, I had wished the Pens would have won those games against the New York Islanders and the Pens would have been higher in the Eastern Conference, possibly first, and the Pens would perhaps have played against a different team, a team that we would have eliminated. I had wished a lot of things while I believed. I did believe that this Pens team was capable of coming back and winning this series and they were. I believed between the second and third period in yesterday's Game 6 that the Pens could come out strong and make it a game and win. It just did not happen. No matter how much I wanted it to happen, the Pens did not win yesterday's game 6 and their season is over.

There are things that most definitely could have been better, we talked about these factors incessantly after each loss and highlighted the way we executed them after each win. The fact of the matter is that this is yet again another early exit from the playoffs for the Pens. 2010: out the second round at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens. 2011: A dismal powerplay had us eliminated the first round by the Tampa Bay Lightning and now 2012: Another first round exit at the hands of the Flyers.
Change is coming. Who knows how big or small these changes will be, but there will be changes to this team. No matter what takes place after the regular season ends, whether a team wins the Stanley Cup or if they get swept in the first round of the playoffs or didn't happen to make the playoffs at all, a team is bound to change somewhat in the offseason. Our shortcomings in this past series will surely be addressed this offseason in some shape or form.

I am a Pens fan through and through, but that doesn't make this end any easier to take, in ways it makes it worse. I will continue to watch the playoffs, I am a hockey fan after all. I am not sure who I am rooting for now. I know it is not for the Flyers, needless to say. Sometimes I do not mind seeing the team that eliminated the Pens make it to the finals because it shows that the Pens were eliminated by a great team but this is different. I don't want the Flyers to make it out of the next round.

As always, I will be eagerly awaiting a new Pens season all summer. I just wish I would not have to look to the next season so soon. I was really hoping to be looking forward to a new season sometime in June.

This past season was an exciting one and was surely one hell of a ride and while the end seemed like a crash that featured swerving and flips and even a roll or two, it's time to move on and continue to watch the best sport in great fashion. After all, playoff hockey still is the most exciting sporting event there is, no matter who is playing.

As the Pens' season is done, I will be posting less and less. I will still be here to post any new developments or news, but this is my sign-off at the end of a season. Enjoy the playoffs!

No comments: