Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

Choosing to believe.


To think, that just a week ago, I was extremely excited for the playoffs to begin. Now, a week later and the first round is like a nightmare; one I just can not awake from. A series like the one the Pens are in now would be a nightmare against any opponent, but the fact that we are down 0-3 to the Philadelphia Flyers makes it much more troubling.

The first game was not what the Pens wanted to happen, giving up a 3 goal lead to lose in overtime, 4-3. That is not how we wanted the series to start and Game 1 was just like a light rain fall to begin this storm of a series so far. Then, game 2 brought the thunder and lightning with the back and forth scoring and then the end result of an 8-5 loss. 8-5 loss in the playoffs. To the Flyers. Then came yesterday's game 3- a game with desperate hope for the Pens to turn this series around. What we got instead was a horrible part of the storm, the worst yet. It came with the worst elements: hail, wind, rain, thunder and lightning. Or, fights, ejections from the game, another collapse in play, and another horrible loss. Hopefully you took shelter. The Pens looked more like the Flyers yesterday towards the end of the 8-4 loss. Fights took precedent over playing and it ended with a horrible defeat and the Pens being down 0-3 in this series. A part of me was happy to see some fights (some more than others), I'll admit. Maybe I just wanted to win something yesterday. Though, I knew it would not win us the game and seeing stars and players fighting and being ejected made me uncomfortable. However, I was angry and frustrated, just like the players were.

This series has been difficult to watch, mostly because we know how well this team can play. Those skills have apparently gone away. The defense must have forgotten what to do and some offensive players have neglected their regular top player style of play. While it hasn't all been Fleury's fault as some have been suggesting, there certainly have been goals scored against Fleury that should have been stopped. However, these losses have been a team effort.

Where is the team that was confident and determined to make it all the way? What happened to the team that knew how to play a solid game? Granted, at times, this team struggled with that during the regular season, but never this mightily. Where have the Penguins gone?

I of course am still a Pens fan- that will NEVER change. Though, I am disappointed in the Pens and even embarrassed. I'm frustrated and upset also. The Pens need to play better in nearly every aspect of the game. I'm not in the locker room, I'm not a member of the organization. There is nothing I can do but watch and hope the Pens play better.
Game 4 is Wednesday night in Philadelphia again. The list of teams who have come back from being down 0-3 in a series, winning the last 4 games to come out as winners, is a short list. I would feel more confident in the Pens' chances of accomplishing this feat if they were playing better.

On the other hand, the Pens seem to have enough doubters, ones who have lost all hope. Perhaps I need to be an optimistic person, one who continues to believe in the Pens.
Therefore, I will put the first 3 games behind me and hope and pray the Pens recover and discover how to win. I will choose to continue to believe in my team and believe a miracle could happen. Perhaps it's because right now, I can't handle the thought of being eliminated in the first round by the Philadelphia Flyers, when so many believed we would be bringing the Stanley Cup back to Pittsburgh a fourth time. Though, I will stand behind my team and believe and hope for a miracle and believe that the Pens can figure things out and pull it together and win 4 straight games.

I'm well aware of the situation. I understand the circumstances and predicament the Pens are in. I know the odds against us as well. But what else can I do? Be devestated of our current situation and sulk? Or, could I stand behind my team and believe that they can come together and win 4 straight games, making one of the greatest comebacks in NHL playoff history against an opponent that is beating us in nearly every aspect of the game?
Since so many people seem to be on board with the first option, I opt to go with the latter. I choose to believe. Let's Go Pens!

No comments: