Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Stanley Cup Playoffs begin tonight.


How fitting it is that the sun is shining and the temperature is rather nice. (At least in Pittsburgh.) Today is the beginning of the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs and this beautiful weather reflects my wonderful excitement for the start of the playoffs. Months ago the thought of not having a season or playoffs at all was a frequent one. Now here we are, after a shortened season, welcoming the beginning of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Pens do not play until tomorrow night, but any playoff hockey, even for teams you may despise or couldn't care less about, offers excitement and a story.

Every series has a story. Whether it is large or small, unknown or well known, the underdog or the clear favorite, whatever the story line might be, every series will offer some great hockey. Even if one of the teams completely dominates the other and sweeps the series. It might not be what I think of when I think of thrilling playoff hockey, but it is exciting.

What I imagine when thinking of great playoff hockey and what I want to see for the team I root for are rather different though. When I think of great playoff hockey, I imagine a series so close, picking a winner is nearly impossible. I imagine tight goaltending and great goal-scoring. I imagine tough, physical games, but games not riddled with penalties. I imagine games where the scoring is close and games when every second, every shot can be the difference maker. I imagine those game 7s where the final seconds tick away and it's tied 2-2. The game goes into overtime and it may be one overtime period or it may take 3 or 4, but you see the desperation, you see the sacrifices the players are making to ensure their season doesn't end that night. That is playoff hockey to me and that's what I love to see when watching playoff hockey. Maybe not in my favorite team's series perhaps, but any other series.
Ok, if I'm being truly honest, I love to see my favorite team involved in those kind of games as well. I just might be on the edge of my seat, standing, or even rocking. I will be a nervous wreck, but I still love those games. Just as long as we win, because you may not want to be around me when we lose.

Playoff hockey is when everything is on the line and either teams know and have what it takes, or they don't. The battle to the Stanley Cup is unlike any other sport's playoffs (in my opinion). That journey begins tonight. Here's to those close series, close games, unbelievable performances and to those triple overtime game 7s. Here's to the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs!

No comments: